RE: [TCLUG:10933] Re: Variation on Previous NIC woes

> From: Perry Hoekstra [mailto:dutchman@uswest.net]
<snippage>
> I tried getting kudzu to work
> and I get nothing.  It just thinks about it for a couple of seconds and
> returns my cursor.  Something I have never noticed before: an
> zero-length kudzu file located in the /var/lock/subsys directory.
> Anybody know what this is for?

It sounds like kudzu thinks everything's still set up.  I did "man kudzu"
and it didn't mention that file, but judging from its location it's probably
a temporary lock file so you should be ok to delete it.  Here's another
recipe to try:

(1) kudzu stores your hardware config in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf .  Rename
this file to something else.
(2) Delete any files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ that have names
containing eth0 or eth1.
(3) Delete any remaining eth0 and eth1 lines from /etc/conf.modules.
(4) Reboot and let kudzu re-detect everything.

If this doesn't work, it may be something more fundamental such as a
resource conflict like Tom said.

Good luck!

--
Carl Patten