Re: Variation on Previous NIC woes

> In my conf.modules file, I have two entries:
>
> eth0: pcnet32
> eth1: unknown
>
> I guess what I am asking is how should I go getting the box to
recognize
> the tulip module without completely trashing things.

> The Red Hat 6.1 way: delete both entries in /etc/conf.modules and
re-run
> kudzu which should only detect and configure your working, enabled
card.
> Then use netcfg or linuxconf to set your IP address, gateway, etc.
> Apologies if you already tried this.

No, please don't, I appreciate any advice. I tried getting kudzu to work
and I get nothing.  It just thinks about it for a couple of seconds and
returns my cursor.  Something I have never noticed before: an
zero-length kudzu file located in the /var/lock/subsys directory.
Anybody know what this is for?

> The Rest of the World way: delete the eth1 entry, and change the eth0
entry
> to tulip (or whatever is the right module for this card).  Either
reboot or
> run "rmmod pcnet32.o; insmod tulip.o" to deactivate the old module and

> activate the new module.  Use ifconfig and edit /etc/hosts and
> /etc/resolv.conf to set up your IP stuff.

I removed eth1, and changed eth0 to tulip. Up rebooting, I tried insmod
tulip.o and receive the following message:

tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I did an lsmod and it just shows the SCSI module, no other NIC modules
are now loaded.

> The net result should be one working NIC, which is what I gather you
want.

> Hope this helps.  Couldn't test this one before posting so please let
us
> know how it goes.

Thank you for everything.

--

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.