Invisible mouse?

I'm having mouse problems with an old system I'm trying to get set up.  (Yes,
it's the P-100 that was out in the hall at the meeting last Saturday...)

Anyhow, I got Debian installed on the system and running just fine, except
that gpm would hang whenever it tried to autodetect the mouse.  (Actually,
the entire console would hang - nothing would respond locally, although I
could telnet in, kill the mouse probe, and all would be OK again, once I
reset the terminal that ran the probe.)  Then I installed Win98 to see what
it came up with for the mouse settings.  It didn't see the mouse.  I've tried
both COM1 and COM2.  I've tried a known-good mouse and tried that machine's
mouse on another system (where it worked fine).  I've disabled the on-board
serial controller and dropped in an I/O card.  And the thing still insists
that there's no mouse attached.

Oh, and when it was running in Linux, ttyS0 and ttyS1 were detected just
fine.

Any ideas for things I haven't tried yet?

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+