Re: [TCLUG:11032] Setting up X-Windows

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 05:38:54AM -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > > Why? Seems to me you'd want to leave as much bus time available to the
> > > 3D engine as possible...
> >
> > Um. refresh does not flood the bus.  I dont know where you are getting
> > this assumption from.
> >
> > Refresh is driven by a few chips that throw a signal over the analog vga
> > connector.
>
> But it still needs to read the frame buffer every refresh... I'm talking
> about the video card's internal RAM bus.

	If I'm not mistaken, a lot of video cards have dual ported
internal RAM busses so that refresh has no effect on bus access by other
parts of the card.

	Anybody been with PCs for long enough to remember the CGA snow
problem?  :-)

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature