Re: [TCLUG:11032] Setting up X-Windows

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Scott Dier - dieman wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Dave Erickson wrote:
> >
> > > I have been running X for the longest time at 1280x1024x16 resolution
> > > but lately my eyes have started to strain because it it just a bit too
> > > small on my 17" monitor.
>
> Use XF86Setup. Give it your monitor specs, or choose a generic that does
> the resolution you want and are sure the monitor can handle, and enable
> every resolution. It will generate modelines for every resolution your
> monitor will handle. If the highest is too high, edit XF86Config and
> comment out all the too high resolutions. Be aware they may not
> necessarily be listed in order...
>
> Is this RedHat? xconfigurator is really lame. It apparently only make
> modelines for one resolution... Latest versions of XF86Setup are so much
> better about modelines...

That is what I have been doing. The XF86Setup can't seem to get the
refresh rate correct. I can set up the mode but when it goes to test it,
the image is small and distorted, which leads me to believe that it is
not properly refreshing at that resolution.

Other modes work perfectly, 1280x1024, 1024x762, but no joy on 1152x864.
As far as what the monitor is capable of, I have run it at: 1280x1024x16
@ 74hz refresh and 1152x864x32 @ 75hz.

I do not like blowing up expen$ive monitor equipment ;-) ....that 21"
would look great at 1280x1024...............

This is Debian Potato.

Thanks