snmpd & mrtg

Friday morning I started getting errors from mrtg that it couldn't
connect to my snmpd server.  I checked and sure enough it died, so I
restarted it and tried running mrtg, same error and snmpd it now dead
again.  If I start up snmpd and try and telnet to port 161 I get
connection refused, but snmpd is still running.  I tried telling snmpd
to log to a file with -l logfile -D, but nothing special came out it
it.

I'm running ucd-snmp 3.5.3 and mrtg 2.8.8.  Everything was working just
fine and it quit.  I didn't do anything special on the network or to
that machine.  In fact I haven't really installed anything on that
machine in a month.

I'm welcome to suggestions on how to debug this.  Thanks.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe