Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> btw, how can you choose your wm at the 'startx' command? I remember
> doing it under Solaris (I think it was 'startx -w <wmname>'); but how do
> I do it under Linux? obviously one can't put it in the local .xinitrc
> (or can you, if you script it right?).

You can do it in .xinitrc, like this:

someclient &
anotherclient &
exec windowmangler

Another fun game is this:

someclient &
windowmangler &
exec xterm

Then you can kill your wm without losing your X session, and try new ones
out by hand (just run 'somewm &' from a command line). Closing the xterm
that you exec'd will end your X session.

Random wm-related note: no wm is fast compared to lwm.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com