Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

>Do you people realize that Gnome and KDE are not in the same boat as FVWM,
>FVWM2, ICEWM, WindowMaker, or Enlightenment?  The latter I mentioned are called
>"window managers."  The former I mentioned are called "desktop tools."  You
>need to run a "window managers" to use a "desktop tool."  So, whether you run
>FVWM or not does not really relate as to whether you run Gnome or KDE.  This is
>such a pet peeve of mine.  It seems that NOONE gets this right, even in the
>press/net-articles.  *sigh*
        sorry about that. :) yes, I do know the difference (tho it took me a
while to learn it); but I do slip from time to time.
        it's easier to write 'GNOME vs FVWM' than 'GNOME\E vs FVWM'; and
like any good computer user, I'm lazy. :)
        I think Clay once posted a link to a screengrab of someone who had
both KDE and GNOME running on the same desktop. :)

        maybe I'll try Sawmill one of these days; and maybe go to AfterStep
sometime (I've used it, and I like it a lot) but FVWM/FVWM2 offers me plenty
of stuff to fiddle with for the moment. :) (and it's *fast* and efficient).

btw, how can you choose your wm at the 'startx' command? I remember doing it
under Solaris (I think it was 'startx -w <wmname>'); but how do I do it
under Linux? obviously one can't put it in the local .xinitrc (or can you,
if you script it right?).

thanks all,
Carl Soderstrom,