Re: [TCLUG:11008] Invisible mouse?

Carl Patten said:
> Lots of tricks here; if you haven't read it I
> strongly recommend doing so.

D'oh!  Never even thought of checking for a Serial-HOWTO...

> Hope this keeps you going for a bit.  I'm starting to run out of ideas,
> hence the suggestion to examine what the experts have written.

Well, I talked to the person I'm setting the system up for (it was a cash
register and is now destined for a life as an MP3 jukebox) and got approval
for an easy solution:  fsck the mouse and install a console-mode MP3 player
that can be controlled by keyboard alone.

I may never know why that box hates rodents, but at least it'll be able to do
its job!

> fact that Windows freaked when you removed the add-on serial card has me
> worried about the general hardware.

Me too.  And it happened twice, both times as a result of removing cards.

> I'm tempted to ask you to check the
> grounding on the motherboard, but I'm also tempted to ask for a
> sledgehammer. :)

It just so happens that I have a 4-pounder, which has been mostly living in
my car lately...

Thanks for the help, even if the final solution was to ignore the mouse
anyhow.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+