Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

> that X shouldn't HAVE to run as root.  You should be able to just set
> permissions on the framebuffer devices and such to allow X to open them
> as a normal user.
>
>         The kernel should provide X with a way of getting at the
> hardware without it needing to run as root, or requiring the use of any
> special interfaces beyond the odd ioctl call.

Which is what I'm talking about. Kernel graphics drivers...

Note that you won't have* to compile in graphics drivers. You can stick
with the existing VGA text driver.

fbdev is a good start. All we need is support for more cards, and an API
for acceleration functions, and even 3D.

How do other unixen do things? Solaris on sparcs... (I'm picking up a
copy of the so-called free Solaris x86 one of these days, just out of
interest...)