RE: [TCLUG:11231] Making Bootable CD's from scratch

Let me be a bit more specific:

I have created a root file system and a kernel from the 2.2.13, and used the
directions as detailed in the bootdisk-howto to make a boot floppy using
Lilo.  The kernel I'm using has support built-in for
IDE/SCSI/Loopback/floppy/ATAPI cdrom.  The floppy boots fine, and I can
mount the CDROM from it once it's booted.

According to the information in readme.eltorito, I should be able to take
this boot disk, create an image of it, and use the -b and -c switches to
mkisofs to create a bootable iso9600 image, which I can then write to a
cdrom.  Apparently how eltorito works is that the bios takes the image off
the cdrom and uses that image to emulate a floppy disk.

When I try to boot this cd on a machine with a SCSI hard disk and an ide
cdrom drive (at sda and hdc) Lilo conks out after the L and starts in with
error code 80.  I expect this has something either to do with the fact that
the cdrom is not primary master or that the hard disk is not also IDE.  I
can't change this configuration, however.

When I use an IDE cdrom and an IDE disk, at hdc and hda, it boots the
kernel, but then doesn't correctly find the root filesystem, and prompts for
it.  When you hit enter, which is your only option, it panics.

If anyone has read any information on the details of this, let me know.

Jer