RE: [TCLUG:11231] Making Bootable CD's from scratch

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Smith Jeremy wrote:

> When I try to boot this cd on a machine with a SCSI hard disk and an ide
> cdrom drive (at sda and hdc) Lilo conks out after the L and starts in with
> error code 80.  I expect this has something either to do with the fact that
> the cdrom is not primary master or that the hard disk is not also IDE.  I
> can't change this configuration, however.

Okay, this is way off the wall, but doesn't LILO hard-code the
the sector that it boots too?  So when the BIOS grabs the image and turns
it into a virtual "floppy", LILO ends up pointing to the the wrong sector.

Okay, if I understand the documentation right, it says error "L" is:

L error : : : The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started, but
it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error codes
indicate the type of problem.  This condition usually indicates a media
failure or a geometry mismatch.

And error 80 is:

"Disk timeout". The disk or the drive isn't ready. Either the media is bad
or the disk isn't spinning. If you're booting from a floppy, you might not
have closed the drive door. Otherwise, trying to boot again might help.

Hmm, I assume that you've been successful in booting from a CD created by
a third party and that it isn't a problem with an early BIOS or something?

-Brent