Appletalk

Okay, this is really pissing me off.

The designers here all use Macintoshes.  Our servers are all Linux (+ 1
NT server in the corner that we don't talk about...).  The mac guys need
to be able to edit files on the linux machines.

Of course MacOs doesn't support the 2 most common, standard forms of
file sharing (ftp and NFS).  Oh sure, it supports ftp...except that
fetch, the program that has been distributed with MacOS forever, bombs
after 100MB or so.  This has been broken since 8.1 or something, and it
still isn't fixed (happens on 5 blue G3's and a couple other powermacs
here).

So I try netatalk.  Netatalk 1.33 won't compile on any of my slack-7
systems.  netatalk 1.42b2 compiles after quite a lot of screwing with
it, but segfaults when I run atalkd.  It does seem to work under slack4,
but I need 7 because it's glibc (mmm...glibc).  Redhat is out of the
question - actually any other distribution is pretty much out of the
question.  It took a lot of screwing with IBM Websphere to get it to run
under slackware (it only supports redsmack) and I'm not prepared to play
with it to get it to work with non-redhat or non-slackware distros.

Is netatalk the only program for linux that does this?  has anyone seen
a mac NFS client (that would be ideal...but I'm having NO luck).

My option now seems to be to either:
1) relay appletalk through a slack4 machine that NFS mounts the slack7
machine (ugly)
2) install Dave on the mac, and install Samba on the linux machine (even
more ugly)

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Adam Maloney