Re: [TCLUG:11239] Appletalk

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Adam Maloney wrote:

> Of course MacOs doesn't support the 2 most common, standard forms of
> file sharing (ftp and NFS).

It's not the job of Mac OS to support FTP. Does your Linux kernel have FTP
support built-in?

> Oh sure, it supports ftp...except that fetch, the program that has been
> distributed with MacOS forever,

Fetch has never been distributed with Mac OS. Are you sure you're using
the latest version of Fetch? Is there a reason you can't also try out some
other FTP client for Mac OS?

> So I try netatalk.  Netatalk 1.33 won't compile on any of my slack-7
> systems.  netatalk 1.42b2 compiles after quite a lot of screwing with
> it, but segfaults when I run atalkd.  It does seem to work under slack4,
> but I need 7 because it's glibc (mmm...glibc).

glibc is not a reason to need Slack 7. Why don't you use Slack 4?

> Redhat is out of the question - actually any other distribution is
> pretty much out of the question. It took a lot of screwing with IBM
> Websphere to get it to run under slackware (it only supports redsmack)
> and I'm not prepared to play with it to get it to work with non-redhat
> or non-slackware distros.

I appreciate your need to be an elitist, but maybe your attitude is
harming those whom it's your job to serve? Just guessing here.

> Is netatalk the only program for linux that does this?  has anyone seen
> a mac NFS client (that would be ideal...but I'm having NO luck).

netatalk is the only AppleTalk file server for Unix that I happen to have
heard of. What research have you done so far to find others?

Did you search on Google for an NFS client for Mac OS? I found several
promising-looking links.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com