qmail help

There has been some discussion on pop3 servers for linux recently. I
too have been hoping to install one and tried qmail based on the
recommendations I have read here. I gathered that it was supposed to
be fairly difficult to install, but very easy to configure and
administer.

I believe I have it mostly set-up and running, but I am not sure if
it is really running like it should be or not. The four daemons that
are a part of it appear to be running ok, while sendmail has been
removed. I have found little to no documentation on how to proceed
from the point I am at though. The system has not yet sent out or
received any mail.

What I would like to do is set up a server on a LAN that could be
used to send mail back and forth between local users and out through
a firewall/proxy server to the Internet when needed. If I could
figure out how to do that and how to easily manage user accounts, it
would eventually be configured to send and receive all Internet mail
for the office. It would have to work well with Pegasus, Netscape,
and ACT! though.

From what I have heard, qmail should be able to handle all of that. I
am not accomplished enough to figure out how to get to that point.
Does anyone know of documentation out there that could guide me
through this?? I haven't been able to find any if there is. I read
somewhere that an O-Reilly book was in the works but has maybe been
put on holld. The readme's that came with the binaries were not
enough help for me.

I would really like to show management that a linux mail server would
be a good way to go. If I cannot get it running then I will be
setting up another MDaemon server on a Windows98 PC like I have done
at another division. The setup for that was very straightforward and
it is very easy to maintain. It has been rock solid for well over a
year as well. Licensing and $$$ is always an issue however and linux
has an advantage when it comes to that. Besides, I like to give Tux
as much work as I can!

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated - thanks,
Mike Glaser