Re: [TCLUG:11243] linux and # files which can be open

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Eric M. Hopper wrote:

> 	The 'open files' parameter is the one you're interested in.
> It's a kernel tunable on every version of UNIX I've ever used, but I
> don't know how to tune it under Linux.

The file proc.txt in the Documentation directory under the kernel source
is a valuable resource.

For instance, we find in there a paragragh that reads:

"   However, there is still a per process limit of open files, which
   unfortunatly can't be changed that easily. It is set to 1024 by
   default. To change this you have to edit the files limits.h and
   fs.h in the directory /usr/src/linux/include/linux. Change the
   definition of NR_OPEN and recompile the kernel.   "

HTH
-Brent