Re: [TCLUG:11288] 2.0.xx kernels and DHCP

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Dave Erickson wrote:

> I use a Mediaone cable modem to serve my home network. I have bee
> running
> Debian for about a year but suddenly Debian no longer works.
*suddenly*? What changed?

> It loads up
> my eth0 and eth1, it starts up DHCP and gets an IP address, but then
> any time I try to access the net it says that the network is
> unreachable.
In my experience, this is usually a routing problem. Check your routing
with 'route -n'. Check to make sure your gateway is set up right (needs to
be your machine? needs to be the cable modem? dunno).

> I Installed Red Hat 6.1 (and a few other 2.2.xx based distros) and it
> works no problem. I don't have any other 2.0.xx based dists to test it
> on but I am guessing that is the problem. When you update Debian from
> Slink(2.0.xx based) to Potato(2.2.xx based), you have to update the
> DHCPCD package before the 2.2.xx kernel can use it, which leads me to
> believe that is the culprit.
The dhcpcd package in stock slink is specifically for 2.0.x kernels. The
dhcpcd package in stock potato auto-detects which kernel version you're
running, and selects the proper daemon automatically. My sense is that
this isn't directly the culprit -- it could just be a difference in how
the clients are configured.

Kevin R. Bullock                                _
Ringworld.Associates (http://www.ringworld.org/) \_ The two are only connected
St. John's University, Collegeville, MN         _/  by my presence in each.

--- please use the first e-mail address ----
| kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet |
| krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet  |
----- bitte die erste e-mail benutzen ------

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.
		-- F. Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month"

Whenever one person is found adequate to the discharge of a duty by
close application thereto, it is worse execute by two persons and
scarcely done at all if three or more are employed therein.
		-- George Washington, 1732-1799