Re: [TCLUG:11288] 2.0.xx kernels and DHCP

Kevin Bullock wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Dave Erickson wrote:
>
> > I use a Mediaone cable modem to serve my home network. I have bee
> > running
> > Debian for about a year but suddenly Debian no longer works.
> *suddenly*? What changed?

Nothing changed, that's my point.

> > It loads up
> > my eth0 and eth1, it starts up DHCP and gets an IP address, but then
> > any time I try to access the net it says that the network is
> > unreachable.
> In my experience, this is usually a routing problem. Check your routing
> with 'route -n'. Check to make sure your gateway is set up right (needs to
> be your machine? needs to be the cable modem? dunno).

Again, everything is the same as it has been. It worked fine then just
didn't.

> > I Installed Red Hat 6.1 (and a few other 2.2.xx based distros) and it
> > works no problem. I don't have any other 2.0.xx based dists to test it
> > on but I am guessing that is the problem. When you update Debian from
> > Slink(2.0.xx based) to Potato(2.2.xx based), you have to update the
> > DHCPCD package before the 2.2.xx kernel can use it, which leads me to
> > believe that is the culprit.
> The dhcpcd package in stock slink is specifically for 2.0.x kernels. The
> dhcpcd package in stock potato auto-detects which kernel version you're
> running, and selects the proper daemon automatically. My sense is that
> this isn't directly the culprit -- it could just be a difference in how
> the clients are configured.
>
> Kevin R. Bullock                                _

That's what I mean, perhaps the 2.2 client supports some later protocol
that the 2.0 version doesn't.

Slackware 7 = works
Red Hat 6.1 = works

Debian 2.1 = doesn't work