Re: [TCLUG:11331] excessive modem questions

On 20 Dec, lueyb@carleton.edu wrote:
> I looking to by a modem. Any recommendations, besides not getting a
> (no-)win-modem?
>
> Can linux use voice-modems? It would be cool to use my computer as an
> answering machine. Also, I have a Asus P5a motherboard with power
> management options that allows wake on demand modem/ethernet. Could I put
> my computer to sleep but have it wake up and answer the phone when it
> rings? What type of modem do I need for this?
>
> Any recommendations on brands to use or avoid?

I have a US Robotics 33.6 internal voice and a US Robotics 57.6
external.  Both work great for me.  I've got the 57.6 connected to the
internet and the 33.6 is my answering machine.  I'm using vgetty under
Linux to do the answering machine part.  I've even got it setup to
convert the messages to wav and send me email when I get a message at
home.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe