excessive modem questions

I looking to by a modem. Any recommendations, besides not getting a
(no-)win-modem?

Can linux use voice-modems? It would be cool to use my computer as an
answering machine. Also, I have a Asus P5a motherboard with power
management options that allows wake on demand modem/ethernet. Could I put
my computer to sleep but have it wake up and answer the phone when it
rings? What type of modem do I need for this?

I remember reading about modems that could notify you of incoming calls
while online and let you disconnect and answer the call. I think this
requres call-waiting, but is this a feature linux can use and what kind of
modem can use this?

Any recommendations on brands to use or avoid?

Thanks,

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu