Re: [TCLUG:11361] Caution: wide load

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

> Kevin, Andy, and I just installed a lanparty server with debian last night
> over my cable at home and it was very easy to do.  So far we have full nat
> going, dhcp/dhcp-dns, bind named, samba/swat, and a few deticated game
> servers set up on it in less than a day.

I'm sure. But I'm looking to do it in less than four hours.

I did just install it; basic dealie took about 1.5 hours. I don't like
the way it wants you to configure everything at install time, and I still
don't like dselect. It's gross. I've installed it before; didn't like it
then, either. There are probably some nice dselect tricks and pointers,
but I don't know them, and I'm too far behind in my Armadillo email
already to spend time learning.

It's more 'pure Unix'-feeling, though, which I liked -- almost gave me
that BSD feel. :)

And, of course, it's the only Linux distribution with a Social Contract.
Can't beat that with a stick.

I'm thinking I'll switch FreeBSD for my home box soon. I don't like the
options I have under Linux anymore. :(

Another thought I had was to build my own distribution. It would probably
use RHL's installer, at least for the hardware detection and the like, but
it would incorporate some other ideas. Among them -- and I don't expect to
be winning any friends with this one -- would be to minimize the package
count to under, say, 250. Complete devel tools, 2 of each class of
application (1 console and 1 X), where appropriate. To borrow an idea from
FreeBSD and Josh Becker, I'd distribute all the packages as source,
precompiled, and then you'd tweak the source to taste and recompile (only
the needed bits would get recompiled, so it wouldn't take two weeks).

I don't know. I should probably get to bed.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com