Re: [TCLUG:11417] group name length limit

> Hmm... on my slack 7 install, I have to type all 10 characters of my
> password or it doesn't work.  On my old RedHat 5.2, I only had to type 8
> of a longer password, though.  Must be a crypt/PAM upgrade.

I have slack7.. I should try it and see.

Ah, I remember why, slack7 uses MD5 encryption instead of DES.

> I've also read that passwords longer than 8 chars might be easier to
> crack, if they're encrypted as two (or more) eight byte strings.  I'm
> not sure how PAM deals with this.

This is exactly the case with WinNT.  It supports passwords up to 14 chars but
it will store it as 2 7-character passwords.  Makes 8 character NT passwords
really easy to crack.

Gabe

Gabe Turner <dopp@acm.cs.umn.edu>
U of MN Csci/IT Systems Staff
President - ACM @ U of MN

"Blood is life and it shall be all ours!" -Dimmu Borgir "The Night Masquerade"