Re: [TCLUG:11417] group name length limit

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 03:56:43PM -0600, Ryan Hankins wrote:

> Hmm... on my slack 7 install, I have to type all 10 characters of my
> password or it doesn't work.  On my old RedHat 5.2, I only had to type
> 8 of a longer password, though.  Must be a crypt/PAM upgrade.
>
> I've also read that passwords longer than 8 chars might be easier to
> crack, if they're encrypted as two (or more) eight byte strings.
> I'm not sure how PAM deals with this.

	I think most versions of PAM now use MD5 passwords.  I think MD5
passwords are much harder to crack than DES passwords.  Of course, SHA1
would be even better.  Using MD5 passwords means there are now 256
significant characters in passwords.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature