locate and updatedb

I've had this problem on various machines for awhile, and never really
bothered to fix it...but...now it's on my mailserver.  I don't LIKE it
when my mailserver has problems.

On some of my machines when I run locate it segfaults...immediately.  My
first thought was that the database had bought some bad shit or
something, so I re-ran updatedb, and still get the same problem.  My
next thought was that one of the $MAC_DESIGNERS had created a file with
a wonderful filename like: "Are the *'s in the sky as pretty as the
%'s?!" with lots of nifty characters...but that doesn't seem to be the
case either.

1) Where is the database for locate located (redundant redundant)?
2) Anyone else had this problem, and have a solution?

It's now happening on my mailserver, and 2 or 3 other machines here.  I
hate find /'ing every time I want to know where something has gotten up
and moved to.

Thanks

--
Adam Maloney