Re: [TCLUG:11541] Little Ol' Install

>I thought that I should at least be able to get a basic install working,
>then worry about throwing a little more disk space and memory at the
>system.  The whole deal was supposed to be an educational xmas present,
>but I'd kind of like to keep it from being a lesson in frustration
>management for my son, so if there are any groovy suggestions (short of
>punting to a new box) I'd appreciate them.

        try a single-floppy distro on it. tomsrtbt (www.toms.net) can be a
lifesaver for hardware problems. :) make the floppy (good instructions on
the website), stick it in the questionable machine, and turn the power on.
        see if a kernel will at least boot on it. :)
        just for amusement value, make a DOS boot floppy, and see if *that*
will boot.

        I've got a 486/33 at home, which refuses to boot Linux or OpenBSD.
DOS will boot and run fine, tho. I have no idea why.
        if anyone wants it, they're welcome to have it. maybe they can
figure out something to do with it. (build a DOS-based firewall/router? I
have heard of such things... supposedly better than one might expect. I
still wouldn't use one myself. ;> )

best of luck,
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.