tape systems was: Re: [TCLUG:11571] Re: Hardware

>As long as we're on the subject, I could use some input/recommendations
>for a backup solution.  I'd like to designate one machine here to handle
>the backups, I can network mount everything that I need to backup.  I
>have 15 or 20Gb of data that needs to get backed up nightly.  I'd like
>to not have to switch tapes 1/2 way through.  I was planning on some
>sort of rotational schedule of some sort.  Does anyone have some ideas
>as to what drives can handle what capacity, and what the drive/media
>cost is?
        for that kind of capacity, AIT is the only way to go. regular AIT-1
is 25/50GB; I think AIT-2 is 35/70GB (or is it 50/100GB?).
        $2200 for an internal drive (same as DLT)
        $60 for each tape (without flash memory)
        $100 for each tape (with flash memory). -- flash memory gives you a
substantial improvement in seek times for individual files.

        tapes are pricey; but very durable. I hear the quality of tapes and
drives is excellent. (as opposed to DLT -- Quantum supposedly had to shut
down production of DLT drives earlier this year because quality was so bad).

for a really kickass solution, I've seen a carousel tape-library. held 40
tapes, and up to 4 drives. used Fibre Channel and AIT. fit into a 19" 4U
rack mount.
that's a *lot* of near-line storage. It was pricey (never got dollar
figures) but you could make a completely fire-and-forget solution. never
have to change tapes again, except for offsite backup. some handy scripting
could give you a *really* nice near-line storage solution.

side note: I got a peek at Fingerhut's storage/backup room once. they have
_eleven *silos*_ of tape backup. and each silo is about 12 feet in diameter...
they tell me that Boeing in Seattle has twice as much. ;>

Carl Soderstrom.
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091