Re: [TCLUG:11577] Security Concerns:

Jon,

remote syslog host - if they get in and rm your logs, you can still
screw them!
I've also heard some concerns about using the built-in firewalling on
Linux.  I've seen a few things in bugtraq (maybe not linux, maybe BSD)
about firewall's not always catching all the packets.  There can be
times when the firewall rules haven't initialized and the machine is
vulnerable.  There have also been reports about certain rules not
working, or allowing the wrong packets (as I remember, a TCP payload
greater than a certain size could get through?).

If you're connecting through a router I'd definately consider using any
firewalling software available on the router IN ADDITION to ipfwadm on
Linux.  Just to be safe.  Only if you're paranoid.