Re: [TCLUG:11655] Two-way cable/vdsl

"Schoenhofen, Kelly" wrote:

> Well, at the place I'm living at now in Bloomington, the phone line we tried
> to get DSL on last week is now on a digital loop, so it's ineligable.
> However, VDSL is supposed to begin rolling out in late January (knock on
> wood...), and the Office package, with static IP's and your domain, is
> priced at $54.95 a month, 1mb down/1mb up..
> According to my friend who just called M1, the two way that M1 is offering
> right now in the places that can get it it's 1.5mb down/300k up. He's ticked
> because M1 won't allow static IP's, and won't host.

Here in Shoreview there is no way the cable modem even approaches that
speed. I spoke with the cable people directly about this and they told
me that while the system was theoretically capable of 1.5 MB per second,
in reality I would never see even close to that due to the shared nature
of the cable network.

In everyday use I get about 120 kps up and down.

Add to that the apparent lack of any customer service skills and the
cable solution looks less and less appealing. ;-(

--
Dave Erickson
"You can preach a better sermon with