Re: [TCLUG:11670] modems was: Re: [TCLUG:11596] Two-way cable

>you actually have a modem bank with the speakers enabled?! you poor guy!
        I actually turn them on by choice. lets me know when someone's
calling in, and if they're having connection problems. the noise doesn't
usually bother me (unless there's a bad modem at the other end; or the
connection fails and it whines until it times out. in those cases I'm glad
there's a nice power switch on the modem, so I can kill the hung connection
without having to wait for the timeout.)
        I love these USR Couriers, tho. solid modems; rocker power switch;
sliding lever for volume control. :) they even have DIP switches on the
underside, if I ever needed! pricey things; but they're about as good as
they come. :)

        the only things better would be Zyxel modems. those are a bit harder
to find, and probably *way* out of the price range. A friend of mine played
with a 14.4 Zyxel modem a few years ago (back when 28.8s were the big
thing). he says it was the size of a shoebox, and cost $600; but it was
virtually impossible to kill the connection. he wired up a Walkman to the
phone lines, and played music from the walkman onto the wire, and it still
didn't drop the connection! (except when he played some Tori Amos -- no joke).
        I think they still make that model, even.
        I looked at their web site (www.zyxel.com) and their other modems
look awfully nice as well. never found any prices on them, tho.

Carl Soderstrom.
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091