Re: [TCLUG:11699] Messages As Attachments [was Re: [TCLUG:11633]Ipaddresstimouts]

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Troy Johnson wrote:

> Hey now! Everybody != you. I don't sign my emails, but if I did, I would
> want to sign _all_ emails. If I don't make a habit of things like this,
> I usually end up not doing them at all (and so my current signature
> behavior is explained).

Which is why I used the word "personally".  I find it a hassle, obviously
he does not.

> Both sides of this argument are a little annoying. Both seem to be
> saying "Change the way you do things, my way is the right way," which
> isn't going to wash without some diplomatic discussion (Hint: I'd like
> to see some).

My point is that I find that Eric has interesting things to say and I
would like to read his messages, but it is much to annoying to wade
through a bunch of text attachments to do so.

> I find this statement a bit distasteful. If OE5 handles multiparts
> attachments in an annoying way, email Microsoft, don't try to convince
> others to do things OE5's way (from Standard Subversion 101). On the
> other hand, if Mutt signs things in a non-standard way, it needs to be
> fixed and the developers of Mutt should be notified (it should at least
> be an option). We should work together to make sure communication is
> smooth and easy, and most of that is making sure the tools we use
> conform to specifications (or standards).

I didn't say say to do it OE5's way - my point was that OE5 is a new email
client and many people on this list use it to read email.  There are many
advocates on this list that feel multipart attachments used in this way
quite annoying.  They have been consistantly shot down - hence my more
forceful manner on this subject.  I have not seen any real advocates of
the multipart GPGP attachments on this list so far (although I am sure
they will speak up now).  I am just asking for courtesy.  I don't want to
use procmail to fix the problem (filter all signed messages), because like
I said, I will be missing interesting opinions.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com