Re: [TCLUG:11699] Messages As Attachments [was Re: [TCLUG:11633] Ipaddress timouts]

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 08:25:31AM -0600, Thomas Veldhouse wrote:

> I use Outlook Express 5.0 when in Windows.  I think that is new
> enough, don't you?

	Apparently not.

>> 	As to why I sign everything...
>>
>> 	Who knows, someone could break into my computer tomorrow and
>> untraceably send all kinds of stuff as me.  I've had that kind of
>> thing happen before.
>
> And if they broken into your computer they could send messages signed
> as you too.  It would be a trivial matter to break the password (if
> you are even using one for each mail you send) when the public and
> private key is available.

	No, they couldn't.  The password on my private key is extremely
secure.  It uses a symmetric encryption algorithm to encrypt the private
key from the password.

> I have been aware of PGP signing for years.  I personally find it a
> hassle when you have to use both Windows and Unix client mail
> programs.  Especially with the multiple versions of PGP out there.

	That's largely because of lack of commercial support.  IMHO, it
would be a trivial feature to add, especially if the program already
supports MIME.

>> 	I see this as something like the ! path vs. @ wars, or gif vs.
>> png.
>
> No, it is not like that at all.  You could sign your message in the
> traditional way and there would not be a problem with ANY mail
> program.  But you don't - which I for one, find annoying.

	The MIME based signature makes a lot more sense to me, and is
less likely to be munged by various mail servers along the way.  I
actually have frequently recieved munged messages that could not be
verified for just that reason.  This is especially with a mailing list
where footers are added for you.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature