Re: [TCLUG:3932] fatal X error

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Tim Wilson wrote:

[snip run 'fsck']

> This sounds like what I need to do. I'm afraid I haven't had to delve
> this far into the innards of my filesystem before. (I suspect most
> readers on the list haven't either.) How can I safely unmount the
> filesystem and use these utilties? Do I need to run them off of a floppy
> disk? I'm a complete newbie with this "down and dirty" sysadmin stuff.

What you want to do is boot into single-user mode (give LILO the 'single'
option at the prompt), and then I think it will not mount anything but /.
If I'm wrong, just use 'umount <mount point>' to unmount the partition(s)
in question. You may need /usr mounted to read the fsck man page, though.
Then, when you've read what you need to, just go ahead and run 'fsck' on
the partition(s) in question  with the proper options for your situation.
Hopefully everything will be fine, but 'fsck' is invariably a scary
experience. :^) Then just reboot normally.

Good luck!

---------(( Christopher Reid Palmer : www.pconline.com/~reid/ ))---------

              the characters i am, made into a word complete
                              -- Meshuggah