static on sound card

I have a soundblaster awe-basic 64. I'm noticing a lot of static coming
out via the line-out port. I believe the problem is with the sound card
because when I turn off the sound (cut volume to zero) via software all
the static goes away. When I turn up the volume it comes back, even when
I'm not playing any sound (pause on a cd, etc). Is there anything I can
about this? Or is it normal to hear static when the volume is medium-high?
Could this be software related? (I started noticing it around the time I
upgrade my kernel to 2.2pre6, but I only got my new speakers a few weeks
before that).

Thanks,

P.S. How do I control the volume of the speaker from the terminal? The
only way I know is with wmmixer or another gui program. Is there device I
need to cat a number to?

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

In politics, you get what you pay for, and vice versa.    -- Scott Ostler