Still need HELP

Ok, thanks, I booted with the rescue disk, mounted my root partition
(/dev/hda1) and did the following:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
ln -s /mnt/etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf
/mnt/sbin/lilo -r /mnt

Lilo ran fine, showing my 6 different kernels. I then rebooted, but lilo
hangs with the same problem: LIL-

I boot-prompt howto doesn't have any listing of error message so I don't
know what the problem is.

One thing: A few days ago, I removed /boot/System.map from a symbolic link
to a copy of the System.map made when I booted. I just thought of this so I
rescue mode, moved /boot/System.map and make it a link to
/usr/src/linux/System.map  - so it now points to the System.map made with my
last kernel compile (2.2.1)

I still get LIL-  though. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
(I reran lilo after making the changes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben Luey