SUCCESS!!!!

I'm writing this e-mail with pine and sending it with sendmail. My
computer works!

Here's the Story:

I backed up my root drive and did a minimum install of redhat 5.2.
Rebooted and it worked fine. I booted with my rescue disk, made backups of
my new root drive and then deleted /etc /var /lib /bin and /sbin from the
root and replaced them with my backup. I rebooted and it crashed on the
remount of root file system. New install, and I replaced /etc with my
backup. It worked. I then copied my backup copy of /bin /sbin and /lib but
didn't overwrite any files. It worked fine. I made a few changes for
programs as necessary, copied my backup of /var/spool, etc and now 99.9%
of everything works!!! Rebooted with kernel 2.2.1 and bang!

If anything knows what caused this, please e-mail me. I think I had a
corrupted library or /sbin file.

Lesson: Never put /home and /usr on your root partition. I had no data
loss. The whole process took only an hour or so. This would have been such
a pain if I only had on partition.

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

That is the secret of happiness and virtue--liking what you've got to do.
All conditioning aims at that: making people like their unescapable social
destiny.
-- Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning, Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)