RE: [TCLUG:4336] celeron

The celeron 300a is an excellent chip.  I've been running one on an ASUS
P2B at 450 without bumping up the voltage.  The chip still runs pretty hot
over long periods of time but with proper cooling, it'll be okay.  I have
found through several application benchmarks that the celery 300a at
450MHz outperforms some legit P2 450's by about 5-10%.  The Mathematica
3.0 benchmark (mathematica is a popular application here) scored higher
than any previous systems I've benched, especially when running under
Linux where it has about a 15% performance over WindowsNT and is nearly
1.5x faster than the Windows version.  For roughly $70, this chip's too
good of a deal to pass up.  Check
http://fampm201.tu-graz.ac.at/karl/timings30.html for reference.

The P2B is one of the faster P2 boards I've worked with, but it's lack of
voltage control makes it hit-or-miss when attempting to overclock (bumping
the voltage isn't a good thing anyway). The ABIT BH6 is about $35 less and
has been more "overclocking friendly" (as are nearly all ABIT boards).
Since the new celery's still have a 66MHz bus, they won't perform as well
as they would at 100MHz.

Another thing to remember is that since these are mutliplier-locked, it's
either 4.5x66 or 4.5x100 (or the variety of other bus speeds available by
the board).  Even with the multiplier set to 2.5, the chip still comes up
at 4.5, so there seems to be no way around this.  Odds are that without
some serious cooling and power, a 5.0 333a, 5.5 366a and 6.0 400a will not
easily run with a 100MHz bus (fancy that: a 600MHz celeron for $190. Kudos
to anyone who can pull that off).  If you are going to take the 300a
plunge, make sure it was manufactured before 12/98.

Peter Lukas
Math Systems Office
University of Minnesota