Re: [TCLUG:6797] AlphaWorks JVM vs Blackdowns JVM for linux

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> Can you point to a document that states this?  You can convert a Java
> application over to native execution module using various tools but I had
> not heard that the linux kernel has the ability to run Java bytecodes.

Here is a document the shows how it was done in v2.0.x, but you can
see from the code that the linux kernel doesn't exactly run Java
bytecodes, but it can recognize java bytecodes and it has /usr/bin/java or
/usr/bin/appletviewer run it for the user.

http://metalab.unc.edu/navigator-bin/navigator.cgi?fs/binfmt_java.c

I have no idea if this continues to be the case.

Troy