Re: [TCLUG:6797] AlphaWorks JVM vs Blackdowns JVM for linux

At 10:40 AM 7/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any expirences they would like to share with the LUG about
>> AlphaWorks JVM vs the Blackdown JVM?
>
>Hmmm...  I haven't used em.  I guess I am coming into the discussion a
>little late, but why use a JVM at all?  Doesn't the new Linux kernel
>support java executables by default?

Can you point to a document that states this?  You can convert a Java
application over to native execution module using various tools but I had
not heard that the linux kernel has the ability to run Java bytecodes.

>If not, can't you use the SUN JDK's?

The Sun JDK (whatever version) has to run on top of a virtual machine which
has to be implemented for the platform desired.

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.