Re: [TCLUG:6823] Ip Masquerading using Onvoy ISDL - need a mentor

Actually, my wife and I have done this. We have a Linux box connected to
mr.net / Onvoy which does the masquerading / firewalling for my network
of all kinds of machines (my Macintosh, my wife's NT box, and others
running Win-95, more Linux, etc.). We are currently in process of
finalizing our firewall rules.

It's all painfully easy to do once you understand what's going on, but
there are a few things which will cause you to pull your hair out if you
don't. (For example, mr.net / Onvoy tells you that you get a static IP
address. Well, that's almost true. They give you the static IP address
via DHCP, so if you want to run Apache, you have to set your hostname by
hand -- there was some direction on how to do this earlier -- or come up
with some other workaround, like we did.)

I'd love to help. I'm willing to explain things for free and be a source
of advice, etc. (One piece of immediate advice is to use ipchains -- a
utility in the 6.0 distribution of RedHat 6.0 -- instead of ipfwadm,
which comes with RedHat 5.0.) And, of course, if you _want_ an available
teacher and you're willing to pay for that, I can help there too.  (:-)

--

Nothing convinces me that computing is an art so much as a bad install.

David Guy Brizan          brizan@freenet.msp.mn.us          612-814-8223