Re: [TCLUG:6830] SuSE 6.1 LINUX

Neal Tovsen wrote:

> Please let us know what you think after trying RH6. I haven't used SuSE (I
> should try it...) but RH6 was IMHO a big improvement over 5.2,
> specifically in the areas you mention (setup, apps...tho no Star Office
> or WP, user-friendliness). I'm rather enjoying it, as it's really
> improving its suitability as a desktop OS with both KDE and gnome
> installed.

I've heard (on the GNOME mailing list) that SuSE 6.1 is seriously
broken wrt GNOME.  A lot has to do with SUSE installing GNOME in
/opt/gnome, but not adding it into the search paths.  Eccch!
Also, there's been some confusion between RH rpm's and SuSE
rpm's.  So be careful!

The thread in question starts at
http://www.gnome.org/mailing-lists/archives/gnome-list/1999-July/0115.shtml

John