Re: [TCLUG:6844] Is video card using AGP slot recommended.

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Brady Hegberg wrote:

> However it is very slow...I mean it's OK but when I'm scrolling it
> flickers.  Considering that the Rage Fury has more processing power than
> the Cray 2 it's a bit annoying.  I used some FBDev info I found to setup my
> XF86Config - does anybody know a better way to do this?

Try to reduce the refresh rate.  The RagePro's had an integrated RamDAC
that didn't play nice with high refresh rates (the funny scrolling X
distortion/flicker).  If the RageFury has an integrated DAC, this may be
causing the problem.

Remember, this is not so much a Linux thing as it is an X thing.  You may
consult the XFree86 development information (www.xfree86.org) or one of
the commercial X vendors (Xi @ www.xig.com -or- MetroLink @
www.metrolink.com)  If you wish to try FB stuff, then it is a Linux thing.

Most AGP cards are supported (especially older ones since they were
basically their PCI counterparts with an AGP interface.  Radical new
hardware most likely won't be supported (but that isn't to say you could
spend a weekend writing a driver for it... :-) ).  Good Luck!

Peter Lukas