gdm/kdm do not allow login

Hi everyone,

I upgraded to RedHat 6.0 in late May. Although it has been a while since this
happened, I'll try to recall the pertinent info. I edited my /etc/inittab to
have the machine boot into X, and left the /etc/X11/prefdm symlink alone so it
pointed to gdm.

Machine booted fine, but when I tried to log in, it would take the username and
password, the dialog box would disappear as if it were about to load up my
session, and then it would drop right back to the login screen. This would
happen as me or as root, it didn't matter.

I'm wondering if this was some sort of PAM issue? I had a friend suggest that
perhaps I didn't have entries for gdm in /etc/passwd and /etc/group, but I do.
This same behavior happens with kdm as well. I got fed up and resorted to using
xdm, which has been working like a charm ever since.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Joel

Joel A. Koepp