Framebuffer console issues

Okay, I'm still using the matroxfb driver on my Mystique 220,
and I'm still having lots of problems with it. It's really
friggin' obnoxious that I can't get it to behave. What's worse
is that it doesn't always act the same; not even between
consoles with identical settings.

My biggest complaint is that the upwards-scrolling speed of
text is beyond horrid (think +1 sec. per screen refresh) at
1024x768x8bpp, or at any bit depth over 8bpp at 640x480.

But here's where it's weird. By using GGV (GGI image viewer) to
display images on a 640x480x8bpp console (tty1) at
640x480x16bpp, it leaves the console at 16bpp when it's done ..
which usually has intolerably slow upscroll speed. Now, though,
it's got an upscroll speed that can match the normal (read:
insanely fast) speeds that can be acquired with a text console
and SVGATextMode.

Yet another console (tty2) which I manually switch to the
exact same settings reacts in the standard slower-than-I-
care-to-wait-for manner.

I don't understand.

Oh, and I still can't use XF86_FBDev at 1024x768; I don't know
how to specify a framebuffer mode in my /etc/XF86Config file,
so setting

Modes "default"

in the proper section is all I can do, which defaults to
640x480x8bpp (no matter what mode the console I execute X from
is in).

I'm severely displeased.

Anybody have matroxfb devices working to a better degree ? I'd
love to hear how, or your thoughts if it 'just works'.

--