RE: [TCLUG:6906] new 56k modem

Note: most of following response is not intended to be taken seriously!

Velcro it to the side of the PC!

 and they
> fall off your computer

Duct tape fixes everything!

 and my daughter grabs them and tries to yank them
> out

Spray WD-40 and/or Teflon on the cables to keep her from getting a grip!

>and my computer won't fit under my desk with the modem on
> top,

Apply bricks and boards until computer desk and chair are high enough or
until you hit the ceiling!

and the
> clutter

Hire a maid!

> and extra cables,

Build a cheap 486 Linux "modem server" and hide it, the modem and the cables
in a closet; access its COM port from your PC over a LAN via DialOut/IP.
One LAN cable, no mess.

> etc etc.

Ok, as long as you avoid WinModems and anything that is Class 1 fax only,
you should do fine.  I've had good luck with US Robotics Sportsters used in
a non-faxing environment, and with MultiTech "Z"-series modems in a faxing
environment.  Another responder mentioned troubles with the Rockwell chipset
(as found on "Zoom" modems - avoid! The horror, the horror!).

> I wonder if you could take a hacksaw to a courier external and
> make it fit
> in a 3.5" drive bay?  You'd have to move the switch and the volume around
> to the front.  That would be pretty cool.

The Courier External I use at work is long and wide and would barely fit
into a 5 1/4" bay, let alone a 3 1/2" bay.  Might work though.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator