Help needed to set up an NTP server

I am trying to set up a time server on a linux PC and I am not having
any luck getting it to run.

I want this server to allow a variety of systems (Win9x, NT, linux,
HP-UX, Netware) to come to it and synchronize their clocks to it. I
would then need this linux time server to go through a proxy server /
firewall running on a Win 98 PC to keep its time with time servers on
the internet.

I have installed ntp-4.0.93a-1.rpm on a RedHat 6.0 system and I am
not able to get ntpdate to go out through the proxy and check the
time on the internet at 134.84.84.84. All I get is the following
error 'no server suitable for synchronization found'

Is there anyone out there who has set up something like this that
could give me a hand. It's possible that I have a number of things
hosed up. I am quite familiar with the proxy server on the Windows
system though so I don't believe the problem lies with that. AtomTime
works fine when I give it the http proxy address and AboutTime works
ok when I open an UDP port 37.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike Glaser