Re: [TCLUG:6968] RH 6.0 Hanging

--- "Barnholtz, Brian" <BBarnhol@BENNETTLUMBER.COM> wrote:
> I have had a couple of problems with RH 6.0.  First when I boot the
> system it occasionally hangs at the finding module dependencies.  This
> occurs about every 4th reboot.  I also added a Zip drive, parallel port
> 100mb model.  I am unable to get the kernel to load the modules.  It
> seems that I have to insmod, but I am unable to do this before the
> system tries to mount the device, so it fails.  A third problem I have
> is when I try to recompile the kernel using make xconfig, everything
> works until I reach the make zImage.  This fails.  Also make bzImage
> fails, as does make modules.  Any ideas on what may be going wrong.  Is
> there an output file I can check.

Does it give error messages when calculating module dependencies normally? Do
you have a file /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/modules.dep? I think doing
'depmod -a' will generate one, but check docs in /usr/src/linux/Documentation
to be sure. I believe you will need to be loading parport.o, parport_pc.o, and
whatever is needed for Zip drives to work beyond that. You may need to be
passing options to parport.o such as io=0x378 (or whatever) in
/etc/modules.conf. This is all in parport.txt in the previously mentioned
directory.

Hadn't heard that 'make xconfig' is broken in RH 6. Mine works, but maybe
that's because I downloaded the kernel source in .tar.gz format? Or that I
upgraded to 6.0 by hand? I dunno.

Good luck,

Joel