Re: [TCLUG:6968] RH 6.0 Hanging

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Steve Siegfried wrote:

> Not sure what's causing your other problems, but "make xconfig" is BROKEN
> in 6.0, as it leaves some stuff undefined that an identical "make config"
> or "make menuconfig" will define.  This may be the cause behind why your
> makes don't work properly.

I'm curious.  How could "make xconfig" be broken?  "xconfig" is an
option provided by the makefile for the linux kernel, which is
distribution independent.  In order to use xconfig, you need the
appropriate xlibs (xlib6-dev) and the updated tcl/tk libs (tk8.0-dev
and tcl8.0-dev).  Now, it is possible that the RH 6.0 distribution has
screwed up these libs.  I have configured and compiled the kernel
version 2.2.10 w/o problem with "make xconfig."

Perhaps you meant to reference the kernel version rather than the RH
distribution version.  In which case, I'd say you may be right.  I
haven't "diff'ed" a config file generated from "make xconfig" to "make
config" or "make menuconfig".  Of course, that would be the way to
find out if the output is the same...

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!