From: Schlough, Mark (NM IT) [mailto:Mark.Schlough@nmb.norwest.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 10:47 AM
To: 'tclug-list@mn-linux.org'
Subject: RE: [TCLUG:7057] Cable modem

I called MediaOne a few months ago about CableModem service.

The only modems that I know would work are the external ones.  [A friend of
mine had an internet gateway setup on a sun box in this way.]  The vendor
they use to get externals no longer makes them.  They are used for Macs.
There was a waiting list I could have been placed on to get an external
modem.  My wife has a mac so it could be hooked up to it  (until the
Media-One guy leaves of course )

The PC ones are internal and I believe they require Winders.  A media-one
technician would come to your home and install the cable modem in  your PC.
This is how is works.  I don't think you can opt to install it yourself.

I gave up.....but they may have more modems now.

Mark