Re: [TCLUG:7088] configuring two network devices

> On 20 Jul, Hans Davin Umhoefer wrote:
> Is it possible to get the two devices to play nicely? Or will I be stuck
> > using one or the other?

My understanding (and I very well could be wrong) is that windows clients
use the gateway address for packets not in the broadcast address. If you
give an ip of 192.168.1.2 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0 then any packet
192.168.1.xxx will to straight to that ip over ethernet. If it is anything
else it will go to the gateway and through the dialup. Linux does the same
thing but with the power to totally control routing. We have the linux and
windows clients use the fast ethernet for local stuff regardless of
whether the dialup link is up -- the outside stuff trigger the dialup and
goes through it (new ppp support dial on demand), all in the background.

Good Luck

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

Eagles can soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines  -- Unknown