Re: [TCLUG:7113] network fax machine

> Put a modem on an old 486 and a network card.  Install Linux.  Install
> mgetty and hylafax.  Read the Fax Server mini HOWTO at
> http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Fax-Server.html.  You can even
> integrate it into your email system...  (I'm tempted to do this for
> our office if our commercial product doesn't perform up to par.)

We would still need a fax to machine to receive faxes and allow users to
send physical papers, right? Also, how would this work if the fax-modem in
the linux box is also used for dial on demand. Will ppp and the fax stuff
just wait until the modem is free if it is in use? Or should I get a
second modem and put it in the linux box (is this hard?) If we get a
second modem, and put it on the fax line, will a user using the physical
fax mess up a tranmission from the linux box and visa versa?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

The great objective of social reform is to prevent a fundamental change in
class relations.   -- Eugene Genovese